Monday, March 14, 2011

Do it or don't do it.



So there's this dude named Steven.

He wrote a book called "The War of Art."

He said "Most of us live two lives. The life we live and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."

Word.

All my life I have believed one thing. I'm a writer. So what the hell is going on that I have allowed myself to veer so far off course? It's bad enough that I'm not fully living the way I should be but who do I think I am to ignore my calling in life? To hide from my gift? To let Resistance kick my ass the way that it has been? Something needs to be done. I'm the only one who has the power to change this. Writer's block has had it's way with me for far too long.

So I read his words that made me cry the first time I read them.

Are you a born writer? Were you put on earth to be a painter, a scientist, an apostle of peace? In the end the question can only be answered by action.
Do it or don't do it.

It may help to think of it this way. If you were meant to cure cancer or write a symphony or crack cold fusion and you don't do it, you not only hurt yourself, even destroy yourself. You hurt your children. You hurt me. You hurt the planet.

You shame the angels who watch over you and you spite the Almighty, who created you and only you with your unique gifts, for the sole purpose of nudging the human race one millimeter farther along its path back to God.

Creative work is not a selfish act or a bid for attention on the part of the actor. It's a gift to the world and every being in it. Don't cheat us of your contribution. Give us what you've got.

Can I get a hell yeah?

Life is so short, I need to start believing in my gifts. I want to write the story I know I have in me.

Do it or don't do it. 

I'm on it, Steven.


                                   

1 comment:

  1. So, are you gonna start by finishing that one particular story? The one I am waiting for? Are you? hmmm?

    Yes. You have a gift...and you need to give it light. No more putting it off...no more waiting...if it is fear, then let fear stand there and shrivel in the corner as it watches you become who you were meant to be.

    I believe in you. xo

    ReplyDelete